Take Two Day 6: Inspired by an animal.

Day Six
Inspired by an animal

I did it. I finally painted my nails in a design that I am absolutely in love with. I'm not annoyed at them, I didn't screw them up and I want to keep them on forever. This is a rare, and very proud moment for me, and modesty has been thrown OUT the door!

As you can see, I did an ocean scene with clown fish aka Nemo's family! Haha. 
I guess you could call them aquarium nails too, fish tank nails, fish nails, whatever floats your boat.



Fish probably aren't strictly an animal, but meh. I've been wanting to do something like this for ages but never got around to it. I checked to see if there was another challenge that'd suit it better but there wasn't, so "inspired by an animal" it was!



If you've done today's challenge, add it in here!





The best was was that they weren't actually that hard. There were no painful straight lines, for one thing. Much more forgiving. I'll try explain how I did them :).


First, here are the polishes I used. I'm pretty useless at naming my polishes but the colours really worked well so they deserve the credit :)

Seche Clear Base Coat.
Tip Top Toughen Up Top Coat.
LA Colors Art Deco - Bright Green.
Jordana Pop Art - Express in Yellow, Black Mark, Contemporary White and Edgy.
Revlon - Powder Puff and Colada Fizz.
Miki - No. 24.
Wet n Wild - Saved by the Blue.
M Eizilan - White AND silver dotting/striping polish/tools.

These are all some of my favourite polishes in general, actually. And I have a heap of Tip Top polishes that I was sent that I need to finish swatching and finally post - hopefully soon!



What I did:
1. Painted my nails with Miki "No. 24" (Blue). I just remembered that that colour is actually one I mixed with a white a while ago... so it's a bit lighter than the ones you get in pharmacies.
2. Sponged on some Wet n Wild "Saved by the Blue" at the bottom and a dab in the middle, then sponged on some Revlon "Powder Puff" above that to do an easy and controllable gradient.
3. Dotted on some bubbles - first with the silver M Eizilan tool then putting a tiny dot of white in them.


4. Used Art Deco's "Bright Green" to draw on the plants/seaweed.
5. Painted on the basic orange fish shape with Jordana's "Edgy".
6. Drew on the fish detail with "Black Mark," "Contemporary White" and the M Eizilan dotting tool.
7. Did the starfish with "Express in Yellow."
8. Added two coats of Revlon's "Colada Fizz," avoiding the fish. Made it sparkle! I guess sheer polishes have a use after all.
9. Added my top coat and done!

Nail polish thinner was important too - those Jordana pop art polishes go yuck really quick. I use Orly's stuff and it always fixes them if you put enough in.


So yeah, those are my Clown Fish nails! I love them muchly :D I have a couple of gold fish, but tropical fish are so much prettier! Does anyone here have any fish?

The script for today's link up is:

<!-- start InLinkz script -->
<script type="text/javascript">
                document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src=http://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=217076&' + new Date().getTime() + '"><\/script>');</script>
<!-- end InLinkz script -->

Comments

  1. Awwww! I love Nemo. They're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous!! And fish are TOTALLY animals :) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you're right, I googled it earlier and scientifically speaking, they are!

      Delete
  3. You should be proud Jessie because these are fantastic!! I love Nemo, my old house had a toilet that was complete painted in nemo theme - you closed the door and there was a giant Bruce - it was a crack up :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I want a toilet like that!! If I ever have an art studio that'll so be me. Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. HAHA!! 'Boat'!
    P.S These are the most amazing nails EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I LOVE your mani!!

    Lila/Esmaltoterapia

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaw, they are gorgeous! and if it's not a human, it's either alien or animal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and they're definitely not human or alien! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. These are adorable! And we both clearly have excellent taste and timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yup! I wondered if someone else would do the same. I almost did my cat but then thought this idea was cooler :)

      Delete
  8. LOVE THIS !! How cute is this ?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squee! LOVE it Jessie!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessie! this is amazing!!!! so freaking adorable! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your modesty should be thrown out the window, these are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute! I wasn't a big fan of the Nemo movie, but these are adorable(: xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove Finding Nemo! Still makes me cry haha. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Very well done! And yes, being a biologist, I can tell you fish ARE part of the animal kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really awesome! I love your little clown fish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cute and absolutely adorable *.*

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY NEMO!!!! I LOVE this movie and these nails are freakin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome! :-) Goes directly to my "to do" (or "to TRY to do") list! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please do not leave your blog link in the comments section - I have a page where you can add it - check out the "Share your blog" tab. I'm afraid can't reply to every comment, but I'll try my best to reply to questions! ♥